Malindi a tropical town situated on a stretch of idyllic beaches with intriguing hideaways on the north coast of Kenya.Malindi offers a wonderful mix of new and old – all along the palm fringed beaches are luxurious resorts ready to pamper to your every need. But not more than 20 Kms away are the Gede Ruins which was a town founded in the 12th century, which was prosperous and flourished unitl the 17th century when it became abandoned. Surrounding these ruins is the Arabuko – Sokoke Forest, which is the largest remaining coastal forest in Africa.
Then on the seafront road near the jetty is the Vasco Da Gama Pillar, which is one of the oldest remaining monuments in Africa to this Portuguese explorer. It was built in 1498 by Vasco Da Gama as a sign of appreciation for the welcome that he had received from the Sultan of Malindi. The cross on the pillar is the original cross and is made of Lisbon limestone.
Close to this is East Africa’s oldest christian church, a small Portuguese chapel of St Francis Xavier, built in 1542, and surrounded by a small but very old cemetery.